Workout Roundup: Week of September 4, 2017

Whew! What a week! In case you missed it, AJ and I welcomed our first foster care placement last Tuesday night. I recapped what the first 48 hours were like, so check out that post here in case it somehow slipped past you. Becoming parents overnight did throw a little bit of a wrench in my workout plans at first, but I’ve done my best to keep up – with some modifications, of course! Let’s get to it.

Monday, September 4, 4 mile run, 3 hours kayaking: Labor Day was definitely welcome around these parts! We wanted to take advantage of our day off and use it to do something different, so we headed up to Lake Jocassee to go kayaking. I ran in the morning prior to leaving, and the weather was nice and cool. It wasn’t anything special, but a good way to start the day! Kayaking was beautiful. Despite living here for two years, we had never gone up to Lake Jocassee before, so we spent 3 hours rowing around and exploring different coves. We ended up going about 7 miles and getting plenty of sun – I frantically applied sunscreen multiple times and still got sunburned. SAD!

img_2882-1024x1024-1 Picture perfect day! The calm before the storm.

Tuesday, September 5, OFF: I was literally pulling into my gym’s parking lot when I got the call about our placement! Since he would be arriving shortly, I ended up needing to leave and go buy a few things to prepare for his arrival. No workout, but my intentions were good!

Wednesday, September 6, personal training – full upper body: After getting literally zero sleep Tuesday night thanks to a migraine I had had since that morning, trying to figure out the logistics of getting the kiddo to school, and everything else, I wasn’t super confident in how well the gym would go, but I knew it was important to try and workout. Gotta keep something normal, right? I made it to the gym at lunchtime on Wednesday and was able to do a full upper body workout. When I do these types of workouts, we typically focus on chest and back. I haven’t done the benchpress in awhile and didn’t on this particular day either, but I still enjoyed it. It was nice to take an hour out of a crazy day and get those endorphins going – plus, I hadn’t been to training since the previous Friday due to the holiday!

Thursday, September 7, 4.25 mile run, personal training – legs: I was able to get a bit of sleep Wednesday night and woke up feeling like a new woman! I jumped out of bed at 5 to meet my friend Pearce and run. I am not an early morning runner – I hate it – but I have come to realize that I’m just going to have to go super early right now if I want to go. Our placement’s schedule demands it, so out the door at 5:30 I shall go. The run went really well – we have had beautiful, cooler weather – and catching up with Pearce was great! It was AJ’s day for school pickup, so I went to the gym after work and did legs. I think my trainer had me do about 200 squats, but leg day is my favorite, so I never complain.

Friday, September 8, personal training – upper body: Thanks to a lunchtime appointment with our social worker on Friday, my only option to workout was once again super early on Friday morning. If you think I’m bad at running really early in the morning, you should see me try and lift weights. It is atrocious! I worked out with a trainer I’ve never worked with before because he was the only one on duty that morning, and it was a tough workout. He had me do lots of different movements than the ones I’ve done with my trainer (like chest presses with cables) and I was worn out by the end! Still really proud of myself for getting it done, though.

Saturday, September 9, OFF but also #momlife: I’ll be writing another post about this later, but let’s just say I now understand people who say things like “I don’t work out, but I’m really active because I run after my kids all day.” As a judgemental person in general and one who does not have kids of my own, I was like “OK…right.” UM, I NOW GET IT. And I’m sorry for judging. Saturday was non-stop. We walked the dog twice, went to the zoo, went to the park, went to another park, rode bikes (while I walked)…we never stopped moving. Don’t kids ever get tired? I’m tired! OMG. So no workout but also, a major workout.

img_2955-e1505059979721-768x1024-1 BRB, running after this bike for two hours

Sunday, September 10, 6 mile run: Waking up early on a Sunday to run when I’m not training for anything? Normally not something that happens. But this is my new normal for right now, and I am embracing it. Heading out for 6 miles in the perfect weather before tackling the day (which included a family road trip to Columbia) honestly made me feel like superwoman. Calling it a “long run” seems ridiculous, but I haven’t run more than 5 miles in a while, so that is what it is. And the fact that I got up and did it early, after an exhausting past few days? That makes me feel like I can conquer the world. I hope this newfound discipline sticks around!

img_2998 It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s me running, pretty slowly but feeling damn good about the fact that I’m doing it at all!

LEAVE A COMMENT: How did your workout routine change when you had kids/adopted kids/started fostering?