Prague Marathon Training, Week 15

This week was THE BIG ONE! While it wasn’t technically my highest mileage week, I did do my longest run of the training cycle. We’re sticking with three runs per week since it seems to be working pretty well. I basically just spent the entire week crossing my fingers and toes that my 20 miler would go ok!

Monday, 4/17/17, strength workout: As I mentioned in my last post, I’m feeling a little bit of a slump in my cross training. I went from not having enough time in the week to do all the activities I wanted to early on in my training to feeling like all I want to do is lay on my couch. I guess this is pretty normal at this point in marathon training! Nothing really sounded fun to me, so I decided to mix it up a little and use Aaptiv for a 45 minute strength/circuit/HIIT workout. Think burpees, lunges, squats, squat jumps, and lots of planks and pushups. It was actually pretty fun and I was sore for the next couple days, so mission accomplished!

Tuesday, 4/18/17, 9 miles: The weather has been heating up here in SC, so that means I now mostly plan my runs around which days are going to be the coolest in the week. I’m not going to lie – after my horrible long run last week, I was not that excited about running basically ever again (not dramatic at all). Thankfully, Pearce was able to join me and we knocked out 9 solid miles at about 9:45 pace! #runningischeaperthantherapy

img_0507-1024x1024-1 High five for matching shirts and running friends!

Wednesday, 4/19/17, cross training OFF: On Wednesday, I had a headache so bad that I started losing my peripheral vision. I am not a “headache person” (as in, I don’t get them very often), but every once in a while, I will go through a rough patch and have a few in a row. Forget cross training – I was just trying not to cry on Wednesday.

Thursday, 4/20/17, 6 miles: Once again, because I am the most dramatic person in the world, I basically thought the world was ending when I had to wake up “early” to do my run on Thursday morning. Pearce and I wanted to run together but she could only go in the morning, and it was supposed to be really hot that day anyway, so it made sense. I’m always glad once I get those morning miles done, but man…I am not currently a morning person. At all. #sowhiny

Friday, 4/21/17, OFF: I actually felt pretty good Friday, which is my regularly scheduled rest day, and considered doing some cross training because I felt bad for skipping Wednesday, but with 20 miles on Saturday’s agenda, I would have been so mad at myself if I randomly made my back hurt. So no workout for me!

Saturday, 4/22/17, 20 miles: The big day was finally here! Let’s just say the conditions were not exactly ideal. I needed to be at a bachelorette party in Savannah on Saturday night, so I decided to drive to Columbia and stay with Bobbi and Chuck and run with Bobbi in the morning. That would make my drive a little shorter and give me some company for my 20! The only problem? The high in Columbia on Saturday was 91 degrees. IN APRIL. If you’ve been reading here for more than about five minutes, you know I’m terrible at running in the heat and it tends to take me a super long time to acclimate. Therefore, this temperature this earlier in the year…for my first attempt at 20 miles in something like 18 months…was less than awesome. Bobbi and I decided to start our run before 6 am (in the dark) so we could beat the heat as much as possible. Chuck dropped water and gatorade bottles for us at strategic points on our route. The miles flew by and I actually felt pretty good around mile 14, when I was having a really hard time getting what felt like a full breath of air. This happens to me sometimes – it feels like there is something that sits on my left lung and stops it from fully expanding- but it usually goes away pretty quickly. This time, I struggled with it for a few minutes and felt my heart rate rising from a combination of not getting enough air and the heat. We decided to walk a little bit to recover, grab some gatorade, and regroup. Bobbi was super supportive and encouraging and never made me feel bad about not feeling well, which I appreciated – since I already felt frustrated enough at myself. From that point in the run on, it was a total roller coaster – one mile, I’d feel absolutely fantastic and like the last 4 or so miles were no problem. The next mile, I felt like there was no physical way I could run another step! I had to stop for the bathroom around 17.5 and felt extremely dizzy. It was frustrating, because my body actually felt pretty good – my back and my legs felt strong and I wasn’t really in pain. However, I was sweating buckets and just not feeling great energy wise. Like I said – up and down. There was a great moment, though! At mile 18, I compared how I felt to how I had felt during my 18 miler two weeks ago and realized that even though in that moment I was feeling pretty crappy, I definitely felt stronger than I had! I knew I could run 2 more miles, even if it was slowly, and I knew that if I had to, I could have run a marathon. Don’t get me wrong, I did not WANT to be running a marathon in heat like that. But I could have. And that’s something. Our overall pace for the run was 10:32, which I can’t be upset about. My back was tired, but not hurt, and really, I think my body felt way better than I expected. I had no soreness or pain the next day, either! Success. And then I drove to Savannah and spent the rest of the day walking around and ended up with over 48,000 steps for the day.

img_0564-1024x1024-1 Hooray! That excessively long description of my long run is over!

Sunday, 4/23/17, OFF: 20 miles on Saturday plus a 4.5 hour drive home after the bachelorette party = no workout.

LEAVE A COMMENT: Do you acclimate quickly to the heat or cold? What’s your favorite running weather?